Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chocolate Nutella Oatmeal Cookies

As promised yesterday, here is my modification of this recipe that I found off of Pinterest (where else?).


Chocolate Nutella Oatmeal Cookies




So I had been wanting an oatmeal cookie for awhile but I didnt want the typical oatmeal cookie and since my wonderful mother had given me a big jar of Nutella, I knew that these would be the perfect combo of ingredients (and so did a lot of other people who have recipes for this).  Since this was the first time I had tried this recipe and I had no idea how the cookies would actually turn out, I cut the recipe in half and ended up with 15 cookies.  The following ingredients is for a full batch, but it's super easy to cut in half, if you just want to try it.  This recipe follows the guidelines of the link above but I have added my own ingredients and made modifications to make it my own delicious recipe.


Makes about 30 large cookies
The Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (more or less for your personal preference)

1/2 c. (one stick) of room temperature butter
1/2 c. Nutella
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg (if you're cutting the recipe in half, just add the whole egg anyway)

1 1/4 cup oats
3/4 c. chocolate chips (I used mini and they melted into the cookie and made the whole cookie very chocolatey. Regular chips wont melt as much and will stand up for individual bites of chocolate goodness)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

(The original recipe says to use an electric mixer to mix this all together. I do not have an electric stand mixer.  I do not even have an electric hand mixer.  So I used a good ole fashion spatula and my arm and it all mixed together just fine.)

In a bowl mix together your dry ingredients - flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon.

In a larger bowl, cream together your butter, Nutella, and sugars.

Once creamed, add the vanilla and egg. Keep mixing until it's creamy just like melted chocolate, or cake batter.


While continuing to stir, add in the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.

Then add the oatmeal and chocolate chips.



Stir gently until well combined.




Drop spoonfuls two-three inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden.



Eat them hot out of the oven - that's when they're best.




My Review:  They turned out a little flat, and very, very chocolatey.  If you're a chocolate lover you would absolutely adore these.  They are delicious hot out of the oven.  Once they cool they lose a little taste and become hard but just pop them in the microwave for about 8 seconds and they're back to delicious. The only thing I think the Nutella added to them was the chocolate flavor - the hazelnut was lost in the oats.  Overall, for me, (not a big chocolate all at once fan) I would give them a 3.5 out of 5.

Happy Baking!!

***Remember these would be cookies NOT to share with your spotted (or otherwise furry) friend.  The chocolate is a no-no. But stay tuned for the Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars that both you and your dog can enjoy***

1 comment:

  1. Well aren't you becoming such the baker.. They look delicious...I love Chocolate!!
    A peanut butter cookie for you and your dog. That sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete