Monday, January 9, 2012

Bruno's Blog

Without this turning into a novel, I’m going to share my experiences with a dog that would change me –

This is Bruno’s Blog.



 This sweet, big, young, male, unaltered pit mix followed me home on Friday morning while I was out walking Aries and my brother’s dog.

He is a seriously good looking dog, and absolutely fell in love with Aries.  He was wearing a black collar (no tags) and appeared to be very healthy.  It was obvious he was just a young, slightly scared, big goof ball, that wanted nothing more than to play with Aries.

I thought that once he followed me home and we went inside and closed all the doors and ignored him, he would leave.  Two hours later, I step outside my front door and he’s there, and not only is he there, but he growls at me.  I quickly closed the door and thought “Crap, I have an aggressive pitbull (Begin Rant: Who I DO NOT discriminate against – my moms dog is a pitbull and I lived with her for ten+ years and you could not ask for a better dog. Discriminate against owners NOT breeds, end Rant.) right outside my door.”  However, he seemed to love me when I had my dog, so I got her on a leash, and confidently walked outside.  I knew he was just afraid and unsure of people but when I had Aries he turned into a totally different dog.  I wasn’t sure what to do with this guy that showed up outside my door and refused to leave, I tried rescue groups which were all full, I couldn’t and was reluctant to take him to a shelter.  With the opinions of others I decided to let this semi-aggressive dog stay outside the front of my house because I knew that once night fell and I turned off all the lights he would get bored and leave.


I went outside Saturday morning to find that big pit bull grin staring at me.  I was reluctant to approach but suddenly he bounded towards me, jumped up to my face, and started licking me all over like we were long lost friends. That day I let him into my backyard to play with Aries – and boy what a good time they had.  I searched neighborhoods, posted ads, and continued relentlessly to look for his owner to no avail.




 Then that thought started to creep into my mind: I want to keep this dog.  I want to keep this dog. He’s perfect. A nice big dog – his head reached my waist.  A good protector.  The perfect energy level for Aries. Gorgeous.




But then I had to face reality – I’m a substitute teacher, I have a very jealous possessive dog, I take care of a 7 month old unneutered Bulldog rather frequently, I barely have the money for my rent and groceries, I just couldn’t do it.  I knew that I could not provide the financial needs of this dog. 

But it didn’t stop me from falling in love with him and naming him.  I thought of him as my guard dog, he would growl (and even lunged at) anyone, besides myself, that would pass by, reach to pet him, or get too close to me.  So I wanted to give him a tough, traditional name.  I started with Fido but that was too cliché.  I then thought of Bruno because that’s a good strong name, and the name of the dog in Cinderella.  My friend also pointed out it was like Bruno Mars – the dog and Bruno Mars being both very handsome individuals. 


Sunday, I was in contact with a couple more rescues and started asking friends to ask around if they knew of anyone that could home this dog. 

But then I started to get the feeling something was wrong.

Bruno suddenly became a very picky eater for a young, big dog. By afternoon, he didn’t want to run and jump and play anymore. 

This morning I went outside and he greeted me with his happy tail and a gentle lick to my hand, but he immediately went back to the bed of blankets I had made for him.  I noticed he had gotten very sick in my yard during the night/morning.  I covered him with more blankets and sat next to him while he shivered.

I knew at that point, I had to let Bruno go. 

It was not fair for Bruno to suffer and for me to keep him, thinking that I could heal him, I could help him, without the care of a vet. 

Once again, I knew I didn’t have the means to take care of Bruno.

I contacted the proper authorities and they’re coming to pick him up.  

(**Update: The officer said she would report him as lost, instead of a stray, so he would receive medical attention immediately) 

Quick Reality Check:

Hundreds of dogs are lost, stolen, or just turned out each and every day for a variety of reasons. Opened/unlocked gates, insecure fencing, financial hardship.  Thousands of dogs are placed in shelters every month.  There isn’t space or means to care for all of these precious dogs.  Shelters are often labeled as the ‘bad guy’ because of what they are forced to do every day.  The dogs are often afraid, they’re stressed, they’re confused, yet they’re expected to act happy, calm, and cute in hopes of that one special person coming along to take them home, I knew this dog wouldn’t pass the test.   I know the realities and I know you do too… and please, I don’t want to hear your opinion on them.



So today, as I sit on my front lawn next to Bruno and write this, he’ll be taken out of my life forever.  I don’t know what will happen to him but I do know what will most likely happen.  I think the worst, but still hope for the best.  I tell Bruno, even though he doesn’t understand, if it does happen, he’ll feel better. He’ll soon run, jump, and play again.  He won’t ever have to worry about being cold or hungry, heartbroken or unwanted.  He will have his place.

And me?

Once he leaves I’ve downloaded 68 minutes of Bruno Mars songs to my ipod.  I’m going to take my dog and walk with her for the entire 68 minutes while listening to his songs. We’re going to walk for the too many ‘Brunos’ out there and reflect on how lucky we are.

Then, I’m going to contact a rescue, or the humane society, and see how I can help. I don’t have money or the space/means to foster a dog at this point in my life, or to open my own adoption agency – but I will someday.

Right now? I can volunteer me. I can go to adoption events on Saturdays and volunteer my time and effort to getting other dogs, that were once Brunos, permanent homes.

I keep asking why, why, why?! Why was this dog brought into my life at this time?  But maybe, in only 72 hours, it was so Bruno could show me the way.  So I would finally stop thinking about helping, but to actually start trying.





PS I fully support RESPONSIBLE breeding – dogs that are bred to better their breed line, to uphold the breed name and bring healthy, happy, loved dogs into this world.  I do NOT support ‘backyard’ breeders or irresponsible pet owners who DO NOT spay or neuter their pets because of laziness, selfishness, or being just plain irresponsible pet owners.  Please, please, please spay or neuter your dog (or cat) there are low cost and even no cost programs out there. I’m located in Arizona and if you need help I know of some resources and would be happy to help you get help. You can also contact your local ASPCA, shelter, or Petco/Petsmart who often have ideas and flyers readily available. 

Further, dogs are a HUGE and EXPENSIVE responsibility.  That puppy looks cute now but it is a LIFETIME commitment and costs money for its care and upkeep. Please think before adopting because that puppy/dog doesn’t deserve to go to, or even back to, a shelter because you didn’t think things through before getting it.  I understand job loss (going through it now), sickness (been through it with family members) and even death (dealt with that too unfortunately), please have a plan in place if any of these issues were to arise.  They deserve it.


For Bruno.



“My mission is to rescue. In hope, that one day, I won’t have to.”  ~Tia Torres, Animal Planet Pitbulls and Parolees

1 comment:

  1. I am honored and proud to be your aunt. You are one of the most compassionate, smart, beautiful and talented women I have ever known. Just like your mom. I can only hope that my daughters turn out to be like you. Thank you for showing Bruno the trust and love he needed for the short time he was with you.

    You are amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete